Non-peer reviewed communications by Tertius Kohn that was posted in either video, text or printed format.
- Focused training recipe for success for black athletes (Science in Africa 2007)
- Muscle Memory Workout (Women’s Health June 2011)
- Fast, faster, fastest (Monday Paper – University of Cape Town July 2013)
- Swart vinniger as wit – ensieme gee atlete woema (Die Burger Oktober 2013)
- Capture myopathy mystery (Wildlife Ranching Magazine – Spring 2013)
- BBC’s The wonder of animals – Big cats
Exercise induced pathophysiology
- R. Hohl, TA. Kohn. Relationship between skeletal muscle phenotype and enzymatic antioxidant activity in wild animals. In preparation.
- T.A. Kohn. Capture myopathy mystery. (2013) Wildlife Ranching Magazine, 6(3), 102-107.
Muscle weakness in acquired and congenital myopathies
- F. Henning, C.A. Cunninghame, M.A. Martín, J.C. Rubio, J. Arenas, A. Lucia, A. Hernández-Laín, T.A. Kohn. Muscle fiber type proportion and size is not altered in McArdle disease. (2016) Muscle & Nerve. Epub ahead of print.
- T.A. Kohn, T.D. Noakes, D.E. Rae, J.C. Rubio, A. Santalla, G. Nogales-Gadea, A.L. Andreu, M.A. Martín, A. Lucia. McArdle disease does not affect skeletal muscle fibre type profiles in humans. (2014) Biology OPEN. 3(12), 1224-1227.
Nature vs. Nurture
- One night of partial sleep deprivation impairs recovery from a single exercise training session. Dale E. Rae, Tayla Chin, Kagiso Dikgomo, Lee Hill, Andrew J. McKune, Tertius A. Kohn, Laura C. Roden (2017) European Journal of Applied Physiology. (in press)
- J. Santos-Concejero, R. Tucker, K.H. Myburgh, B. Essén-Gustavsson, T.A. Kohn. Greater performance impairment of black runners than white runners when running in hypoxia. (2014) International Journal of Sports Medicine. 35(10), 809-816.
- T.A. Kohn. Insights into the skeletal muscle characteristics of three southern African antelope species. (2014) Biology OPEN. 3(11), 1037-1044.
- T.A. Kohn, T.D. Noakes. Lion (Panthera leo) and caracal (Caracal caracal) type IIx single muscle fibre force and power exceed that of trained humans. Journal of Experimental Biology. (2013), 216, 960-969.
- J.W. Curry, R. Hohl, T.D. Noakes, T.A. Kohn. High oxidative capacity and type IIx fibre content in springbok and fallow deer skeletal muscle suggest fast sprinters with a resistance to fatigue. (2012) Journal of Experimental Biology, 215, 3997-4005.
- T.A. Kohn, J.W. Curry, T.D. Noakes. Black wildebeest skeletal muscle exhibits high oxidative capacity and a high proportion of type IIx fibres. (2011) Journal of Experimental Biology, 214, 4041-4047.
- T.A. Kohn, B. Essén-Gustavsson, and K.H. Myburgh. Specific muscle adaptations in type II fibres after high intensity interval training of well-trained runners. (2011) Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, 21, 765–772.
- T.A. Kohn, R. Burroughs, M.J. Hartman, T.D. Noakes. Fiber type and metabolic characteristics of lion (Panthera leo), caracal (Caracal caracal) and human skeletal muscle. (2011) Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A, 159(2), 125-133.
- Y.X.R. Harley, T.A. Kohn, A. Gibson, T.D. Noakes and M Collins. Skeletal muscle monocarboxylate transporter content is not different between black and white runners. (2009) European Journal of Applied Physiology, 105(4), 623-632.
- T.A. Kohn, L.C. Hoffman, and K.H. Myburgh. Identification of myosin heavy chain isoforms in skeletal muscle of four Southern African wild ruminants. (2007) Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A, 148(2), 399-407.
- T.A. Kohn, B. Essén-Gustavsson, and K.H. Myburgh. Exercise pattern influences skeletal muscle hybrid fibers of runners and non-runners. (2007) Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 39(11), 1977-1984.
- T.A. Kohn, B. Essén-Gustavsson, and K.H. Myburgh. Do skeletal muscle phenotypic characteristics of Xhosa and Caucasian endurance runners differ when matched for training and racing distances? (2007) Journal of Applied Physiology, 103, 932-940.
- T.A. Kohn, B. Kritzinger, L.C. Hoffman, and K.H. Myburgh. Characteristics of impala (Aepyceros melampus) skeletal muscles. (2005) Meat Science, 69, 277-282.
Obesity & Type II diabetes
- C.C. Webster, T.D. Noakes, S.K. Chacko, J. Swart, T.A. Kohn, J.A.H Smith. Gluconeogenesis during endurance exercise in cyclists habituated to a long-term low carbohydrate high fat diet. (2016) Journal of Physiology, 594(15), 4389-4405.
- V. Goyaram, T.A. Kohn, E.O. Ojuka. Suppression of the GLUT4 adaptive response to exercise in fructose-fed rats. (2014) American Journal of Physiology. 306(3), E275-E283.
- J.A.H. Smith, T.A. Kohn, A.K. Chetty, E.O. Ojuka. CaMK activation during exercise is required for histone hyper-acetylation and MEF2A binding at the MEF2 site on the Glut4 gene. (2008) American Journal of Physiology, 295(3), E698-E704.
- E. Mukwevho, D. Lang, T.A. Kohn, E. Nyatia, J. Smith, E. Ojuka. Caffeine induces hyperacetylation of histones at the MEF2 site on the GLUT4 promotor and increases MEF2A binding to the site via a CaMK-dependent mechanism. (2008) American Journal of Physiology, 294, E582-588.
- J.A.H. Smith, A.D. McKerrow, T.A. Kohn. Metabolic cost of running differs between two types of laboratory treadmills. (2016) Journal of Sports Sciences. Epub ahead of print.
- T.A. Kohn, K.H. Myburgh. Regional specialisation of rat quadriceps myosin heavy chain isoforms occurring in distal to proximal parts of middle and deep regions is not mirrored by citrate synthase activity. (2007) Journal of Anatomy, 210(1), 8-18.
- T.A. Kohn, K.H. Myburgh. Electrophoretic separation of human skeletal muscle myosin heavy chain isoforms: importance of reducing agents. (2006) Journal of Physiological Sciences, 56(5), 355-360.